“An unspeakable tragedy”: A murder-suicide stuns College Park

Tom Hausman/The Diamondback

University of Maryland junior Farhad Siddique, 19, was killed Sept 28. Police believe his father, Nasir Siddique, shot him before then killing himself. Prince George’s County Police and the Harford County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the incident outside of Parkside apartments as a domestic murder-suicide. Investigators believe that Nasir Siddique killed his wife, 48-year-old Zarqa Siddique of Bel Air, before traveling to College Park. Below is The Diamondback’s ongoing coverage.

What we know: University of Maryland student killed in murder-suicide

This live-blog includes more information from those who knew University of Maryland junior Farhad Siddique, as well as city leaders and police officers. The Diamondback will continue updating this.

A veteran and his UMD son are dead in apparent murder-suicide. Questions of motive remain.

Nasir Siddique, a retired U.S. Army officer, is suspected of shooting his wife and son and then himself.

UMPD didn’t send out an alert for Wednesday’s murder-suicide. Here’s why.

The University of Maryland Police alerted the campus community of a similar crime in February 2013.

“Horrific and tragic”: Community mourns UMD student death in murder-suicide

The University of Maryland and College Park communities responded with shock and disbelief following Farhad Siddique’s death.

“My heart goes out to the family and friends of those who died,” said university President Wallace Loh. “I was shocked when I read about it in the middle of the night. It’s very painful and I just feel really, really terrible about it.”

“A gentle spirit”: University of Maryland community remembers Farhad Siddique

Farhad Siddique was a University of Maryland junior neurobiology and physiology major from Bel Air. He was an active member of the Muslim Student Association, the Student Health Advisory Committee and loved playing tennis.

“He’s an unforgettable guy”: College Park community gathers to remember Farhad Siddique

About 100 community members gathered on McKeldin Mall to pay their respects Wednesday night.

“He cared for us more than he cared for himself,” said junior cell biology major Ahmed Hamayun, another one of Siddique’s roommates. “To lose someone like that is really hard.”

There were 2 murder-suicides in College Park in 3 years. Here’s how responses differed.

The county’s police department is primarily involved in the Sept. 28 murder-suicide investigation. But in the 2013 shooting, which also occurred off of the campus, University Police and the county police both worked on the case.

Credits

Powered by