“Hatred and tragedy”: following the homicide of Richard Collins III

Richard Collins III's death, now being investigated by the FBI, has rattled the UMD community

Jay Reed/The Diamondback

E arly in the morning on May 20, Richard Collins III, a  23-year-old Bowie State University student, was fatally stabbed outside Montgomery Hall. Sean Urbanski, a 22-year-old University of Maryland student, was charged with first- and second-degree murder as well as first-degree assault in connection with the stabbing. Originally, University Police said the crime was not race-related. But UMPD is now working with the FBI to determine whether the stabbing was in fact a hate crime. Below is The Diamondback’s full coverage.

SGA President A.J. Pruitt calls for more diversity training for some UMD student groups

The SGA president released a statement Wednesday saying the homicide of Richard Collins III on the campus represents a university-wide failure to adequately address hate bias incidents. “Over the past two years, we have allowed incidents of hate and bias to fester within our community,” he wrote in the statement. “We have failed our mission as an institution of higher education.”

“A precious part in each of us has died”: UMD community remembers Richard Collins III

Richard Collins III’s childhood friend described him as a “man full of joy” to University of Maryland students, staff and faculty gathered at the Garden of Reflection and Remembrance to grieve his death Wednesday. “I never thought I’d know a guy who had so much humor, so much wittiness and so much joy that he wanted to give to people,” said Ian Sloan, an alumnus of this university.

UMD President Loh announces action plan to “combat hate and create a safer campus”

This university’s administration has asked the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to create a rapid response team, composed of students, faculty and staff, which would provide support to victims of hate incidents. This university will allocate $100,000 to the office.

Some UMD students call on administration to provide stronger response to hate incidents

For some minority students, the death of Richard Collins III is a culmination of multiple incidents that have occurred on the campus during the past year, followed by what some feel is an inadequate administrative response.

College Park City Council mourns loss of Richard Collins III during meeting

“The City of College Park sends its deepest condolences to the family of Lt. Richard Collins III,” said Mayor Patrick Wojahn. “It really struck me to the core that a weekend that should have been for celebration devolved into this.”

Hundreds attend vigil for “fearless” Bowie State University student killed at UMD

“He was trustworthy, he was honest, and you could count on him. He was dependable,” said Lt. Col. Joel Thomas, head of Bowie State’s ROTC unit, of which Collins was a newly commissioned lieutenant. “So as I remember Richard, I’m going to remember his character first and foremost.” Collins was set to graduate from Bowie State University on May 23.

Photo gallery: Vigil at Bowie State University for student killed at UMD

The vigil held for Richard Collins III took place in Bowie State University’s Samuel L. Myers auditorium on May 22. UMD students joined hundreds of Bowie State students, faculty and community members to honor Collins.

UMD community shares experiences of racism and hate on campus with #FearTheTurtle

This university’s students, alumni, staff and faculty took to Twitter with the hashtag #FearTheTurtle to share their thoughts, fears and experiences of racism, discrimination and hate on the campus in light of the undergoing investigation into the death of Richard Collins III.

UMD student charged with murder denied bail at hearing

The judge said there is clear evidence that Urbanski presents an “absolute danger” to the community.

UMD student charged with murder to appear in district court Monday

The University of Maryland student who was charged with murder in connection with the fatal stabbing of a Bowie State University Student is expected to appear in Prince George’s County District Court on Monday for a bail review hearing.

UMPD is working with FBI to determine whether Saturday’s homicide was a hate crime

University of Maryland Police are working with the FBI to investigate whether the fatal stabbing of a Bowie State University student on the campus was a hate crime after Urbanski’s apparent membership in a racist Facebook group “brings questions to the motive in this case.” Urbanski appears to be a member of the Facebook group “Alt-Reich: Nation,” which contains numerous racist posts.

UMD student charged in connection with stabbing near Montgomery Hall

Sean Christopher Urbanski, 22, faces first- and second-degree murder charges, as well as a first-degree assault charge, in connection with the stabbing that killed Richard Collins III.

University of Maryland Police investigate on-campus cutting incident

University Police responded to Montgomery Hall on Saturday morning for a report of a cutting incident. The victim was reported to be in serious condition on his way to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Credits

Powered by